Earlier this month we closed the restaurant to take a much needed break and to participate in some local culinary events.
One of these events was the Vancouver Aquarium Seafood Chowder Chowdown. We teamed up with Red Truck Beer Co. and Chef Randy created a scrumptious Wild Pacific Smoked Albacore Tuna Chowder with Sauteed BC Mushrooms, finished with an Arugula Pesto and a Crisp Pemberton Potato Chip!
The dish was really well received and we had so many comments about it that we thought we would share the recipe. Enjoy.
Wild Pacific Smoked Albacore Tuna Chowder
Fresh Arugula Pistou & Forest Foraged Mushrooms
Mile One Eating House uses a great Albacore Tuna product delivered straight to our door by Captain Ian Bryce of the FV Nerka 1, based in Port Alberni BC. His seasonal fishing bounty brings amazing loins to our door, and his smoked and canned offerings are a foodie's dream, which makes a great chowder for those crisp West Coast days when the snow line creeps down on our forested slopes.
Amusing to see Albacore Tuna from a vessel named Nerka!
- 8 Ounces Captain Bryce’s Smoked Albacore Tuna
- 1 Large Pemberton Yukon Gold Potato – small dice.
- ½ Cup Green Peas
- ¼ Cup Aged White Cheddar – grated.
- 1 Medium Size Yellow Onion – small dice.
- 2 Cloves Garlic - minced
- ½ Cup of Lillooet’s Fort Berens Riesling Wine
- ½ Litre 36% Cream
- ½ Litre Whole Milk or Halibut Stock
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Cups Fresh Arugula
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Roasted Garlic
- 1 Lemon
- Sea Salt
- 2 Cups Wild Forest Mushrooms – cleaned and rough chopped
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In heavy bottom pot, warm Butter and Sautee Onions & Garlic until softened with no colour.
- Add Potatoes & Tuna.
- Deglaze with Riesling Wine.
- Add Milk (or Halibut Stock) & Cream and simmer until potatoes are tender, reduce liquid to desired consistency.
- Stir in Aged White Cheddar Cheese.
- Season with Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Add Green Peas just before serving to maintain their fresh green look & taste.
- For Arugula Pistou, in food processor combine Arugula & Garlic and pulse adding Olive Oil, Lemon Juice & Zest until smooth, finish with a pinch of salt.
- For Mushrooms, in fry pan melt butter and sauté mushrooms until tender and cooked through, season with Salt & Pepper.
Serve this rich chowder in a heavy bowl drizzled with the Arugula Pistou & and a helping of Sautéed Forest Mushrooms, a chunk of fresh buttered crusty bread and a nice BC microbrew would round out this experience!